Prepare for Fun on the Water!
- Learn more about dragon boat racing at racedragonboats.com
- Get prepared by hydrating and exercising in advance. Keep in mind this is an anaerobic sport. Hydration is very important. For more about hydration, read more about it on WebMD.com or check out our hydration information.
- Be prepared for rigorous exercise. Don't have much time to work out in advance? Use quick exercise bursts.
- When it heats up outside, acclimate your body to the weather and use less air conditioning.
- Before your practice session, you should know you WILL get wet. It is a water sport. If you paddle on the right side, the right side of your body will be wet. If you paddle left, the left side will be wet. Please dress and prepare accordingly.
- You may bring water into the boats at your practice.
- Practices and races will happen rain or shine. Lightening and other severe weather will delay practices and races.
- Report to your Team Tent an hour before the race.
- Your team will report to the marshaling area 20 minutes before your first race.
- Marshaling officials and volunteers will instruct your team to line up, and then alert you when it's time to load the boat.
- You will paddle once in the morning and again in the second heat. You will paddle a third time if your team qualifies to race in the finals.
- Bring plenty of water and healthy snacks. Food will also be available for sale on site.
- You may consider also bringing games to play between races, such as a football, Frisbee, etc.
Shuttle will be available on race day so you can park at Convention Center and Tourism parking lots.